Monday 21 May 2012

Free-range jerks


From MSNBC:
(N)ew research has determined that a judgmental attitude may just go hand in hand with exposure to organic foods. In fact, a new study published this week in the journal of Social Psychological and Personality Science, has found that organic food may just make people act a bit like jerks.
Or the more likely explanation is that people who buy "organic" produce are a load of ignorant urban poseurs with more money than sense who live to posture ad nauseum about their "healthy" "green" diet when, in fact, they wouldn't know "organic" if they fell into manure pond.

In short, the sort of people who you find at a Seattle organic produce markets didn't become jerks, they are jerks.

1 comment:

eon said...

Speaking as a farm kid, I avoid organic like the plague. because when I see the word "organic", to me that translates to "fertilized with liquid manure, which has NOT been sterilized, and is thus full of microbes, etc."

I wash all the "regular" produce I buy, before using it, and generally before even putting it in the crisper. I've never gotten sick due to store produce, and I'm too old to start now.

Also, organic is very inefficient. Crop yields are much lower per acre than by modern methods, mainly due to wastage, weeds, & etc. That means more organic farming = less food. Although I'm sure this doesn't bother the average organic fan any, because they seem to be heavily invested in the John Holdren "Too Many People Oppressing Mother Gaia" thing. In that mindset, less food=reserved only for the right-thinking elite' (like themselves)=fewer of us nasty groundlings = Utopia.

Organic, to me, is an unacceptable risk, on any account. As for the arrogant jerks who like it, I say go for it.

Let's see how superior they feel after a nice case of salmonella.

cheers

eon