Tuesday 21 June 2011

Liberation!

Pasta of Evil
Whole-grain pasta may not have any health benefits.  Thank God for that.  I've never cared for the stuff.  I once dined with some friends in Oxford who were whole-grain enthusiasts and I quickly discovered that unless you're slowly weaned onto the stuff it plays hobs with your bowels.  Whenever I had dinner with them I used to fuel up at the local cafe and then strategically pick at my plate to avoid any undignified rushes to the bog.

You'd think I'd have learned from that episode,  but a couple of years ago, not noticing the the brown colour,  I accidentally bought a packet of whole-grain spaghetti and with true Yorkshire stinginess I resolved to eat it.  Until then, I never realised that it was possible to actually boil wood or that marinara sauce doesn't do much to hide the fact that you need a steak knife to cut the spaghetti. 

Come to think of it, the article was wrong.  Whole grain pasta does have health benefits–If you're going on an Atkins diet and want a reason to swear off starches, this is it.

No comments: