Wednesday 18 July 2007

Only If Victor Meldrew is Chairman

From Newsday.com:
Nelson Mandela celebrates his 89th birthday tomorrow in Johannesburg, launching a humanitarian campaign along with former President Jimmy Carter, ex-UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan and other "elders" of the global village. The initiative stems from an idea by British entrepreneur Richard Branson and musician Peter Gabriel to create a world council of elders to tackle issues such as conflict, AIDS and global warming.
"World Council of Elders." How very grand.

If I want a load of dotty old men with no authority sticking their unwelcome noses into my business I'll walk down for a pint at the Dog & Duck, thank you very much.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm.

Nelson Mandela = used guerilla/terrorist tactics in attempt to end of apartheid. Ghandi, he was not.

Kofi Annan = Commandeered the most corrupt administrative body on the face of the earth, through one of the most corrupt tenures in its entire history.

Jimmy Carter = Easily one of the weakest, most embarrasing leaders of the twentieth century.

If these are the "Elders" of our "Global Village", I think I'll take my coat.

Anonymous said...

Notice they waited until Reagan was dead.

jabrwok said...

I wonder if *these* Elders will have a set of Protocols...