Monday 16 July 2007

Body of the Law


Sir Liam Donaldson, the Chief Medical Officer, is expected to recommend that the law in Britain be changed so that instead of people donating their organs for transplants, said organs would be "harvested" automatically after death unless the patient specifically makes his wishes known otherwise.

I haven't a dog in this fight, since I spent so much time in the tropics that not even Dr. Frankenstein would want my liver and lights, but I find it rather telling that Britain has a government that not only believes that our lives are not our own, but that our bodies are only ours by sufferance as well.

4 comments:

jayessell said...

Wasn't there a Monty Python sketch that applies here?

"You signed your organ donor card, didn't you?"

"Yes, but... (screaming)"

jayessell said...

Here it is, from "TheMeaning of Life"

I'll look for the YouTube next.


http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/mol/m-10-v.htm

jayessell said...

And here it is...
Bonus!
The Galaxy song!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tmLvzubP3I

Anonymous said...

I feel that, given the circumstances, this is a good idea. We need more organs and we need more organ donors.

HOWEVER! If a system was brought in that paid for people to donate non-essential organs, then I'm sure that this wouldn't be necessary.

And Jayessell: I'm not sure if you noticed, but Monty Python, whilst bloody funny, is not very realistic.
You don't have to worry; they aren't going to be coming in the dead of night with bonesaws. Calm down, dear.