Monday 18 June 2007

Passing of an Era


The RMS Queen Elizabeth 2, last of the transatlantic liners, has been sold to Dubai, where she will be converted into a floating hotel in 2009.

I suppose that many people, though saddened to see her leave service, will at least take solace that she's been spared the breaker's yard-- even if it means becoming a tourist attraction at a Gulf resort. For me, I'd rather see her broken up. I've never cared for the idea of museum ships; and less for the floating hotel. A ship is a living thing that is only truly what she is when she is going about her business on the sea. I'll be the first to admit that I love being able to see and even walk the decks of such great vessels as HMS Victory, the Cutty Sark, Gypsy Moth IV, or HMS Belfast, but there is also something profoundly sad about them in dry dock or permanently tethered to some quay where they are like aging race horses that are set out to pasture. It's even worse when some preserved vessel catches fire or capsizes at her moorings as has happened in the past and recently.

No, unless a ship has some incredible historic importance, such as with Victory (which is still a commissioned warship, by the way), I can't help feeling that it is better for for her to fade with dignity into history.

No comments: