Monday 19 June 2006

Fishing for Truth

I spent yesterday enjoying Father's Day with some quality family time fishing at a trout farm where I learned some valuable truths:

  1. If you buy Daddy a new fishing pole and box of tackle, then Emma must have a Barbie fishing pole as well.
  2. The Red Devil is still the best fishing lure ever conceived by the mind of man.
  3. Fresh trout hot off the grill are proof that God loves us.
  4. It is amazing how familiar I can get with a new casting reel after I have dismantled and reassembled it a dozen times with a leatherman after the line has jammed.
  5. Monofiliment fishing line has the power to tangle itself into impossible knots just by sitting still.
  6. Ospreys can not only nab fish straight out of the water, but they have the bad grace to do a victory lap around the pond to rub it in.
  7. Bullfrog tadpoles are bloody enormous
  8. Three-year olds have profound difficulty mastering the art of casting.
  9. Said three-year old with a hook is a hazard to life and limb.
  10. Three-year olds have the powers of invisibility and teleportation.
  11. If I have caught half a dozen fish and my wife has caught none and she insists on swapping poles with me, I will a) catch a fish with her pole inside of five minutes and b) when I fix the jammed reel on my rod and do a test cast before handing it back to my wife, I will immediately get a strike.
  12. My wife does not see the funny side of No. 11.

No comments: