Wednesday 11 April 2012

Designer Raymond Loewy's personal Avanti II heads to auction


If you’re in Monte Carlo on May 12, you’ll have a chance to purchase a bit of of history when design legend Raymond Loewy’s 1972 Avanti II Coupé goes on sale as part of Bonhams auction house’s Les Grandes Marques à Monaco. Not only is this one of only a handful of Avanti IIs in France and one that was owned by a celebrated designer, but it’s also distinguished by the fact that its original owner was the man who created it... Continue Reading Designer Raymond Loewy's personal Avanti II heads to auction

1 comment:

eon said...

I hate to say this, but I've always considered the Avanti one of the half-dozen or so ugliest "exotics" ever built. (The Ferrari Enzo gets my vote for Number One.)

Whenever I look at it, all I see is an AMC Gremlin-shaped Jell-O mould. And its aerodynamics are all wrong for a car capable of 160MPH+ with the blower-equipped engine. I've driven cars with noses like that at over 130, and the nose lift was discouraging to say the least.

It's hard for me to believe that the man who designed the '53 Studebaker Hawk also designed this strange visitor from another planet. Bizarro World, that is, not Krypton.

cheers

eon