Friday 30 March 2007

Sauces and Ganders

Doctor Who producer Russell T Davies looks as if he was channeling Greg Dyke when he criticised rival ITV sci fi programme Primeval in these words:
Its [lack of] ethnic casting is shameful. I've never seen such a white show in all my born days.
Too "white," eh? I'd always thought that Mr. Davies's choices in "ethnic" casting were down to legitimate artistic criteria of the best actor for the part and not a conscious effort to make certain that not too many of "those people" get on the screen, but it looks as if I will have to amend my opinion. It would be interesting to solicit his view of when a show tilted in the other direction and became too "black" or "yellow" or whatever.

"Shameful" resides more comfortably in Mr. Davies's mirror.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all know that Russell T Davies is a twit, and this confirms it. Doctor Who's still good, though.

Anonymous said...

Not being able to comment on stellar British programs; the one time it pains me to be an American.