Thursday 5 July 2012

Coming to the crossroads


You may have noticed that posts have been a bit sparse lately on Ephemeral Isle and non-exist on its sister blogs.  That's for a number of reasons.  I've been very busy with clients and deadlines, I had to deal with a medical scare that turned out to be a false alarm and my liver isn't packing up after all, but the biggest reason is that both my wife and I are undergoing some major career shifts that will completely change our routines for at least the next year.  It's a sound plan and will put us on a much better footing, but it also means making some sacrifices and hard choices.

I've been running EI since 2004 and since then I've started three other blogs.  They've been great fun and I love doing them, but they were never meant to be a hobby.  They were intended to attract traffic to Tales of Future Past and my freelance writing business with the side benefit of generating some advertising revenue.  In other words, it's a business.  Unfortunately, it hasn't created either the revenue nor traffic nor demonstration of growth  to justify as much effort as I've put into them.  In other other words, I can't justify the investment.  Therefore, I've had to do some serious thinking and I've concluded that blogs are going to have to take a backseat to my other endeavours until the financial situation improves drastically.

That doesn't mean that I'm quitting.  It does mean, however, that I'm going to be cutting back considerably.  The other blogs will be only occasional affairs with postings made when time and suitable material collide.  As to EI, I'll still do the video features, so there'll always be something here, but the four posts a day routine will fall back to posting what I think is the most interesting or important as time permits on an irregular basis.

Thanks to all my regular readers, thanks for your support and please subscribe to the RSS feed so you won't miss what does come up.

Ta for now.

5 comments:

Fruitbat44 said...

David - Very glad to hear that your health scare turned out to be a false alarm. Very glad indeed.

Sorry to hear that you're cutting back on the blogging, but at the end of the day putting food on the table takes priority.

Good luck with your other endeavours. :-)

eon said...

David;

Back after 6 1/2 days offline due to a power outage.

First of all, I'm glad to here that your health issues were a false alarm. There is little that is scarier.

Secondly, I enjoy EI and TOFP as much for what I find in the backfiles as I do for what's new. And I thank you for creating this little oasis of sanity on the often-loopy WWW.

You do what you have to do. I'll still be here.

cheers

eon

Sergej said...

What they said. Best of luck in your new directions, and check in from time to time! I've enjoyed your posts!

Anonymous said...

David:

I wish you the best of lucks. Even when in occasion I did not agree with you, I enjoyed your comments and points of view enormously.

As I am not interested in the videos, I will only check this site on occasion. Still, TOFP is a regular for me when I want to have a good laugh.

Thanks for everything.

Francisco in Calgary

Andacar said...

David, I don't exaggerate when I say that few websites have given me greater pleasure or more laughs than Tales of Future Past. I have had a rough patch for the last few years myself, with both my health and employment being precarious. I will miss your work very much, but understand your position completely. First things have to come first.