Friday 9 May 2008

Nesting Cuckoos

Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
Harry Lime
I think it wrong to sit on a man. Soon, I shall think it wrong to sit on a horse. Eventually (I suppose) I shall think it wrong to sit on a chair.
G K Chesterton

Ah, Switzerland! Where plants have "dignity", there are dog licences–for the owners, where the rights and proper care of every pet from goldfish to rhinoceros is enshrined in laws written by politicians who are never anything save altruistic, and soon to be an alpine wasteland because the regulations for raising, keeping or in any way interacting with any flora or fauna makes it simpler to just exterminate the whole bloody lot of them and be done with it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to brag on Switzerland maintaining that at least when they do something they do it with the Swiss people in mind first. What a deluded 1960s thinker I was.
I suppose giving dogs the vote will be next.
"Tasty treats you can believe in!"

Sergej said...

Used to be the case, I think. Back when they made a point of being veryveryvery neutral. For moral reasons, naturally. (Except they tended to be more neutral to the civilized world and less so to Nazis with cash...) These days, they appear to have gone euro.

Swiss neutral themselves into oblivion, I shall have to find another source for pocket knives, I suppose. Emmenthaler cheese, I can substitute with jarlsberg.

jayessell said...

Let me know when the The Renaissance starts in Iraq.

Buy some art on the cheap now, in 600 years you'll be rich!