Tuesday 31 October 2006

Lifting the Veil

Remember that Muslim school teacher who was suspended because she insisted on teaching her class in a veil? It turns out that it wasn't her idea, but that she was following a fatwa from her local imam.

I haven't commented on it much because I was waiting for this little tidbit to surface, as I knew it would. As with the previous episode involving a girl who wanted to ditch her school uniform in favour of a burqa, this one revealed that the woman wanting to run around in a tent was really carrying out the demands of a third party-- usually her brothers or some cleric or both who were seeking a wedge to introduce sharia law into Britain.

You'd think they'd learn about Greeks bearing gifts by now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think this is a really interesting issue as it cuts across so many issues. You can read a little more about my take on it at http://blackthumb.org.uk, if you're interested. I'm interested in trying to get beyond the integration vs. cultural relativism angle. Feel free to contribute to the debate.