Tuesday 3 October 2006

Jet Dry

I hate modern public toilets. Actually, I hate public toilets full stop, but the modern incarnations give me what scientists refer to as the heebie jeebies. The superloo introduced in the 1980s was bad enough, what with its automatic sliding door that opened up if you couldn't finish your business within fifteen minutes. That wasn't so big a deal back then, but twenty five years later it sure as heck is now-- especially after a good vindaloo. Then came the automatic taps that switched on when you put your hands near them-- which made me jump a foot the first time I came across one. This was followed closely by the automatic toilet, urinal and paper towel dispenser. The latter I have particular loathing for, as it gives out such a niggardly ration of towel that forces me to do a strange dance to coax the thing to give me another sheet. And don't even mention the automatic hand-dryers that combine the worst of old and new technology.

I rather suspect that the lads at Dyson, who make those incredible vacuum cleaners, must have had similar experiences and responded by coming out with a new auto hand-dryer that doesn't muck about. Instead of a weedy little draught of hot air, the Dyson Airblade has a slot for inserting wet hands, which are then dried by a 400 mph blast of sterilised air in a fraction of the time of the older wall-mounted hair dryer variety.

Now I'm waiting to see if they come up with a version for the shower.

No comments: