Friday 20 October 2006

In Vindaloo Veritas

From Metro.co.uk:
Almost a third of young men admit buying spicy dishes they don't like just to impress their mates, according to a a new poll.
Ah, but they eat it anyway. That's the spirit.

Most people, especially in American, think that English cooking is bland-- which is surprising, given the our penchant for powerful mustards and fresh-grated horseradish. In fact, firey curries are an innovation of the British Raj; the native Indian curries being found a bit on the bland side. More than once I've had to explain this to American friends, who pride themselves on wolfing down the strongest jalapeneo peppers, when we go out for an Indian meal in Seattle. American curries tend to be hopelessly mild and when I ask the waiter for a vindaloo so volcanic that the chef takes it as a challenge, my friends sit back waiting for the steam to come out of my ears only to end up watching me happily tucking in without a glance at the water jug.

True, I haven't more than two active taste buds left, but my sinuses are remarkably clear.

No comments: