Monday 11 October 2010

Rattle rattle

The BBC looks at the £113 million up for grabs from Euromillions lottery and suggests all sorts of "philanthropic" ways in which the altruistic winner could use such a some.  Not surprisingly, it's a wish list of every left wing, statist cause with its hand out.  There's lots of stuff about Oxfam, "green" technologies, sport for the disabled, and such like, but nothing about donating to the church of one's choice or starting a scholarship fund for nuclear engineers.

Personally, if I had such a slice of dosh fall in my lap, I would (after paying off my debts, having one hell of a party and getting started on that orbital death ray) give back to society by investing the money in my business so I could make many times over that £113 million in profit, employ loads of people, and provide the general public with goods and services that would enrich their lives–at least, until the orbital death ray is up and running.

But that seems a bit too capitalistic for Auntie.

4 comments:

eon said...

I want an orbital death ray, and sharks with frickin' laser beams in their heads to protect my island base/launch site.

After all, the sharks are smarter than the average minion with a submachine gun, as anyone who has ever seen a 007 movie already knows.

cheers

eon

Sergej said...

Definitely the island base. I'll take a piranha tank in mine, with a trap door in the floor over it. And lots of minions in overalls and face-concealing helmets. Or maybe they'll be robots. And a couple'a bikini babe-type minions. I think I'll go with the giant squids for perimeter defense rather than the sharks---more arms. And in some prominent place, a large, red, candy-like self destruct button.

Just rattling things off off-hand, I've already come up with better uses for the loot than the Beeb.

Neil Russell said...

The biggest obstacle I have to winning a vast sum in the lottery is that I won't buy a ticket.
But in the theoretical world, I'd do much of what has been suggested; pay off everything, flying zap guns, etc.
But the main thing I would be is very hard to find.
My goal would be to have people remember me with; "Hey, you remember the fellow that.." "No"

eon said...

Sergej-

All my actual minions would be curvaceous ladies in form-fitting outfits. They can operate all the machinery, they are probably better shots (they mostly don't have preconceived notions on the subject), and their voices cut through background noise better than guys' voices do. As a bonus, in space ops they can take higher Gs, use less life support, require less propellant as payload due to lower mass, and don't get spacesick as easily.

And oh yes, I'm a heterosexual male, too.


cheers

eon