Monday 9 August 2010

Top Gear USA


It looks as though there's going to be an American version of Top Gear after all. They're adhering to the original format (not surprising, since they had to pay for it), but I still have my doubts about how good it's going to be. The presenters all seem a bit young and are obviously aimed more at the thirtysomething teenager with a "man cave" demographic rather than middle-aged petrolheads who are perfectly aware of how boring they are.

Also, it's going to air on the History Channel, which theses days has about as much to do with history as the Sci-Fi Channel did with science fiction before they had a burst of honesty and changed their name. That sort of identity crisis doesn't help anyone.

2 comments:

Neil Russell said...

Yeah, they tried that with Fawlty Towers (twice) and Absolutely Fabulous and it was as flat as an Austin Marina pummeled by a piano.

I suppose I'm just showing my age, but what makes Top Gear so unique is the frame of reference possessed by the presenters. If May, Hammond, or Clarkson use the phrase "Whoa dude" they are making a non-complimentary cultural reference. These characters would probably say it when awed by a sparkly sugar laden breakfast cereal.

All this clip looks like is a well funded YouTube (how appropriate that it is posted there) video of the "hey dudes, watch me" variety.

Brandon said...

I'll watch a few episodes but I just don't have much hope for it. I am a proud American but did it really have to go as far as moonshine running and plaid shirts?

I also agree with Neil. The different personalities of the presenters is the main draw for Top Gear. These guys all seem to be cut from the same cloth... and that cloth is plaid.