Monday 14 June 2010

TRS-80 Model 100

Retro Thing looks at the TRS-80 Model 100, one of the first laptops, the third computer I owned, and my constant companion on four continents until the Internet came along. It not only had a great keyboard and a raft of built-in programmes, but it also came with a built-in 300 baud modem that gave me the incredible power to tap into the AP teletype feed. I even had the battery-powered external floppy drive that, along with a stack of discs the height of a fat dictionary, allowed me to write a couple of books without burning through a small forest of paper during the rewrites.

I had flashbacks to my Model 100 days over the past couple of weeks while the Internet link at Chez Szondy was US and I ended up taking the netbook and camping in the public library, Denny's, McDonald's, and the green room at the local NPR studio in search of a wifi link. Now I've learned that Starbucks has finally noticed that this is the 21st century and announces that it will no longer charge of wifi. That means when I drive the wife and daughter into town on a Friday evening, when the library is closed, to catch the latest animated extravaganza I won't have to choose between checking my RSS feeds over a Big Mac and comparing lumber prices down at the hardware store. It may mean that the trade off is bad coffee, but at least the chairs are more comfortable.

Progress.

No comments: