Tuesday 14 October 2008

Die Grun-Jugend

From the New York Times:
Sometimes, Jennifer Ross feels she cannot make a move at home without inviting the scorn of her daughters, 10-year-old Grace and 7-year-old Eliza. The Acura MDX she drives? A flagrant polluter. The bath at night to help her relax? A wasteful indulgence. The reusable shopping bags she forgot, again?

"Tsk, tsk.
I have very, very environmentally conscious children — more so than me, I’m embarrassed to say,” said Ms. Ross, a social worker in Dobbs Ferry, N.Y. “They’re on my case about getting a hybrid car. They want me to replace all the light bulbs in the house with energy-saving bulbs.”
"Ms" Ross's reaction to this? The NYT sums it up in the headline:
Pint-Size Eco-Police, Making Parents Proud and Sometimes Crazy
Proud? If my six-year old daughter came home and started lecturing me on the environment (or anything else for that matter!) she'd soon learn the joys of cleaning out the garage while doing without telly for a month. It absolutely astonishes me that after nearly a century of fighting totalitarianism there still exist in our society people who think it's perfectly acceptable to raise their kids to be snitches, prigs and the green version of the Young Pioneers.

1 comment:

Sergej said...

Pavlik Morozov. Not there yet, but give it a few years.