Wednesday 3 October 2007

Swing & Roundabouts

The Royal Navy doesn't know whether its coming or going. It's forever being praised for doing sterling service, yet never gets anything but budget cuts from the Treasury. On the one hand, the Labour government is threatening it with secret cuts that would reduce its fighting strength by half, and on the other we see BAE systems studying how to provide the Navy with a technological marvel of a warship so advanced that it can command fleets of unmanned combat units and carry out a full-scale invasion practically on its own. At this rate, we'll probably end up with a fleet consisting of a single hull, but it will be a dilly-- provided the MOD bothers to include fuel, maintenance, spare parts, manpower and munitions in its operating budget.

I wish the powers that be would make up their minds about whether Britain is worth protecting or not. Maybe someone should show them the fine print where it specifies that the first and foremost duty of government is defence of the realm and not making sure that the proles don't smoke in the pub.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to think, in my naive childish days, that the old style of warship was the best; Iowa-type thingies, with huge guns. No silly electronic warfare or wussy missiles!

Now, however... I realise my mistake. Give me missile-launching, drone-controlled, death-from-many-miles-away, electronic-filled goodies! I WANT ONE OF THESE. :D

Anonymous said...

ALSO: Oh yeah, and Boo Labour for threatening more cuts. The navy needs monies for their stuff and things. Aircraft carriers, frigates, submarines, etc.
And we need at least two of these awesome things, at least.

One for the navy, and one for me.

(I'll have mine in Suggestive Dress Pink, thanks RN)