Wednesday 17 January 2007

Snow Day III

It's the winter that never ends at Chez Szondy. I thought we were past the worst by last Sunday, but the temperatures remained at below five degrees of frost and yesterday morning we were slammed with another snowfall that made the road impassable.

Worse, both of our motor cars are now hors de combat. The Cruiser gave up the ghost two days ago when the cold became too much for the engine and now all I can get out of it is a sullen, battery-draining growl. I'd charge it off the Honda, but when the power went out for a few hours yesterday I decided to go into town for supplies, only to have the car slide ingloriously backwards down the hill, where it now rests marooned in the cul-de-sac by the whippet fancier's house.

I've learned my lesson. Next year I'm laying in a couple of cords of firewood, a barrel of emergency water, a well-stocked wine cellar and a couple of hundred weight of pemmican.

Update: We finally got out! Now to explore this strange, new world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For the first time I can actually admit that I'm happy to be in Massachusetts.

Good luck, folks.