Thursday 12 June 2008

Shadow Home Secretary Resigns

Mr. David Davis, the shadow home secretary, has resigned from the House of Commons in order to force a by-election on the issue of the government's proposed 42 day detention bill.

As regular readers know, I'm a firm believer in taking the war to the Jihadists fast, hard & often, but I'm with Mr. Davis in opposing the 42 day detention idea–not because I think it's too harsh or unjust, but because New Labour refuses to recognise that we are, in fact, at war and this detention power would be used against anyone who comes under the heading of "terrorism", which is a tactic and not an enemy. The difference between Mr. Davis and myself is that if the detention was explicitly aimed at Jihadists and their supporters I'd have no qualms with it.

No comments: