Monday 14 August 2006

The Leapfrog of Progress

The Seattle Times has an excellent article about small, rural communities that have gone in one go from areas where people don't even have phones to fully-integrated broadband networks. Live in Nowhere, Washington, but get a job in New York City? No problem; just telecommute-- which illustrates that in the 21st century distance doesn't mean half as much as bandwidth.

For me, this isn't so much a happy tale of progress as a demonstration about how the road to the future is paved with maddening cracks. I'm reading about little timber towns in the Wenatchee National Forest who have blindingly-fast connections, yet I live just outside of Redmond, Washington, the centre of the Microsoft octopus, and I'm stuck with a 56k dial-up service that is only slightly faster than sending data packets by carrier pigeon.

No wonder I burn with a hard, gem-like flame.

No comments: