Wednesday 12 March 2008

Oath for the Gander

I'm not surprised that New Labour's plans to have schoolchildren swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen has the trajectory of a lead balloon.

Quite frankly, I have no intention of getting behind it until every Member of Parliament is required, without substitution, to place his hand on the King James Bible and swear (not "solemnly affirm") fealty to Her Majesty before being allowed to take his seat.

And yes, I am a hide-bound feudalist who regards the Civil War as a bad idea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You cavalier bastard...but I agree with re-instituting a biblical declaration of fealty. After all, affirmation of an oath to God is an assertion of His natural rights. Or so says the ever grave-twirling John Locke...

Wunderbear said...

I happen to be an atheist (probably more agnostic), but I wouldn't that much of a problem with this; CofE is the main religion of England, after all.